Saturday, November 24, 2012

Happy Friendsgiving

You know that feeling you have when the turkey is in the oven, Christmas music is playing, the house smells like food, your family is almost over and everything just feels right in the world? I had that feeling here despite being 9000 miles away from my whole family this Thanksgiving.

It's one of the hardest realities to face when you're abroad: your family gathers at the table for dinner every night, and on holidays and special days, your extended family is right there with them. I thought it was going to be a hard day, a hard week even; and although it started off that way, I would get simple reminders to be thankful for where I am at this time, and be grateful that I have something so amazing to come home to. I spent Thanksgiving day on the beach in 83 degree weather, surrounded by my Australian family.
It was the perfect amount of sunshine, wind and water conditions. The waves were vicious but it made the day that much more fun. And for the first time since I've been here I think, I didn't listen to my iPod as I laid in the sun. I just listened to the waves crashing and the birds chirping to create my own little sense of peaceful soundtrack.

And then I left, got all dressed up and spent the night feasting with my Australian friends, turned family. Since the majority of them live in the Meriton Service apartments, they were able to cook pretty much the whole feast. I guiltily supplied some instant gravy. As us campus people walked into one of their apartments, I got this overwhelming rush of nostalgia. Christmas music was playing, the smell of food permeated the room and laughter was heard around. It smelled as close to home as it could get. At that moment, I felt complete. A validation of friendship is when you can feast together on a holiday and be so comfortable where you are, even though you're not with your family. How lucky am I. 
Happy Thanksgiving. From our side of the world and family, to yours. 
After we ate way past our normal intake, we sat and chatted and then got ready to go out for some dancing and more celebrating. I really think it was a close-to-perfect night. 

I stayed out way past my bedtime and probably embarrassed myself with the excitement I showed when some songs came on. Whatever, I had a great time! It was the best feeling going to bed and then to wake up and Skype with my family on their Thanksgiving night. Although they were missed, I'm sure they don't mind that I had the great time over here without them! 

Today marks the three week countdown to my arrival back in the States. I'm aware of it but don't want to accept it just yet. It's the nights like this when I know I'll miss it almost too much to bear. It's these people that I know I'll want to see again. It's this place that I know I'll want to come back to. It's also the realization of the capacity to love these things so much that makes me want to explore this life so much deeper. Because without this experience, I wouldn't have known. 

I hope all of your Thanksgivings gave you that capacity. I'm thankful to that.  

1 comment:

  1. I am thankful that you are having this experience and that you are sharing it with us. I hope you keep the "willingness" to be open to new experiences no matter where you are in this world.

    ReplyDelete